Buying a new truck can be difficult, what with all the confusing financing options around. In a lot of cases, buying used Kenworth trucks can be far easier. When you go to buy a used truck, find out if the seller has maintenance records available for his vehicles.
While all sellers will not have maintenance records available if you’re lucky you may find some owners who keep records of their vehicle’s maintenance. Always take your time when buying a used truck. Spend at least an hour with the vehicle before making any decision.
There are some essential tips to keep in mind when buying a used Kenworth truck. Here is a ten-point checklist to stick to when purchasing used Kenworth trucks:
- Inspect the truck only in the light of day. Also, make sure you are on a level with the truck to be able to have a better view.
- Examine every joint and opening for the proper fit. Check the panels and edges for rust or for uneven fit.
- It is important to make sure the vehicle isn’t rusted. One way to figure this out is to run your hands across the body of the truck. If there are raised bumps or spots, it means there is rust.
- Don’t forget to check the engine. If you hear unusual noise or thudding when you start the engine, it means there is something wrong. A faulty engine means an expensive repair so be careful with the purchase.
- Make sure to check the switches for proper functioning. This includes lights, fans, and other extras.
- Examine used Kenworth trucks for any leakage. Check the insides of each tire to make sure they are in their prime and aren’t worn or leaking.
- One of the most important things is to check the brakes, including emergency brakes. The best way to determine this is by driving the truck for a bit and testing different speeds.
- After you shut the engine and restart it, check if it is slow in starting the second time. Also, check for overheating of the engine.
- Open the trunk to check for signs of rust. While a little rust is okay, check for more severe signs that call for attention.
- Test drive the vehicle at least a few miles with a passenger next to you to check for any additional noises or rattling that you might be missing.
Looking for used Kenworth trucks? Coopersburg and Liberty Kenworth is the place to be. Call us to find the right solution for your needs.